I recently have been watching the new season of Project Runway Junior, and I’m amazed by their skills. I got the chance to interview contestant Chelsea Ma and talk to her about designing and her style.
My favorite outfit she has designed so far in the show has to be her first one.
1. What inspired you to start designing clothes?
I started designing clothes mainly when I began watching Project Runway with my mom when I was 7. I wanted to own all the things that the fashion industry campaigned, but my mom wouldn’t buy anything for me so I decided to make them myself. I started doing this when I was about 12-13 years old.
2. What would you say your personal style is?
My personal style is constantly evolving. It used to be a sweater and jeans, and then became really long shirts (cute sacs lol) which I would wear as dresses, and then I’m currently into dressy athleisure wear.
3. What is your favorite clothing design you have created so far?
My favorite design I’ve made so far is a look on the show that has not been shown yet (can’t say anymore than that)
4. What is your go-to outfit to wear, when you are running late?
My go-to outfit when I’m running late is a really fashionable long shirt or sweater so I can wear it as a “dress” and still look somewhat cute and/or decent. If I really don’t have anything to wear then I’ll resort to jeans and a white t-shirt.
5. What was your reaction when you realized you were gonna be on Project Runway Junior?
I felt like I could do 27 consecutive backflips.
6. Do you prefer heels or flats?
I prefer heels just because I need the height.
7. What was your favorite and least favorite trends from 2016?
I really liked the makeup trends in 2016 because of the dewy/ highlighter look that became really big. I also disliked some makeup looks like the matte lipstick trend that exploded beyond my comprehension.
8. What advice do you have for people who want to design clothes?
My advice is to try everything because you really can’t say for sure what your aesthetic is until you’ve gone through all your options. Also, learn to be open minded because there are a lot of critics, but also know when to stand up for your design.
9. What is one random fun fact about yourself?
I can bend my pinky finger all the way back to the top of my hand.
10. If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live?
I’m not sure where exactly I would live because there are still a lot of places I want to visit but haven’t gone to yet. For now, though I’m really loving CA, and possibly NY.
That is all, thank you for reading and don’t forget to watch Project Runway Junior on Thursdays at 10/9c